So, this is International Assistance Dog Week (IADW), and I’m promoting it! Please do visit their website.
A new “Woof” is being trained for me and may be ready (fingers crossed that it doesn’t “wash out” – always a risk) sometime next summer.
“Why would a dog be removed from PAALS training program?
“A dog can be discharged from the program at anytime during the two-year period it’s being trained for any of the following reasons:
- “Hip and elbows X-rays show that the dog may not be strong enough for a working role
- “Temperament problems demonstrate that a dog is too shy, too aggressive, or too protective
- “Skin allergies develop which can be too big a problem to be handled by a person with a disability
- “The dog has difficulties with the stress of the kennel or public work.”
The only thing I know about the Woof is that it will be a Golden Retriever. In the meantime, I’m gearing up learning as much additional info as I can about dogs in general, assistance dogs in particular, training of dogs, feeding, grooming – etc.
Another place to visit would be the Working Like Dogs website. They have several resources and informational articles that any dog-lover will enjoy.
As I think about a new Woof, I also think about Emmy – OF COURSE! I did a lot of things right with her, but I recognize that I also did a number of things wrong. I have to do fewer things wrong with the new Woof, so I’m “practicing in my mind” the things I should do or not do in the future.
I’ll be posting irregularly – as usual – over the next year. Please subscribe or at least check in every so often to see the new posts. Some will be longer than this, some shorter with just a reference (or three) to other websites.
Another request – please support PAALS! They work so hard, and are so dedicated to the provision of trained service dogs to people who need them – Service Dogs for Mobility Challenges, Service Dogs for Autism, Service Dogs for Facilities, Skilled Home Companions, and Service Dogs for PTSD or Traumatic Stress Disorder. Do explore their website – and Please !!!
- University Researcher, International Assistance Dog Week Founder Announce Partnership to Increase Employment for People with Disabilities Partnered with Assistance Dogs (prweb.com)
- For Finley, there’s no place like home (readingeagle.com)